Bielefeld University concentrates teaching and research on a series of classic academic disciplines ranging from the natural sciences across the humanities to the social sciences in a total of 13 faculties:
- Educational Science
- History, Philosophy, and Theology
- Health Science
- Linguistics and Literary Studies
- Faculty of Psychology and Sports Science
- Business Administration and Economics
In addition to its 13 faculties, Bielefeld University also hosts a number of central scientific institutes:
- CeBiTec - Center for Biotechnology
- CITEC - Cognitive Interaction Technology Center of Excellence
- BiSEd - Bielefeld School of Education (in German)
- Institute for Interdisciplinary Research on Conflict and Violence (IKG)
- Institute of Mathematical Economics
- Institute of Science and Technology Studies (in German)
- Institute for the Simulation of Complex Systems
- Interdisciplinary Center for Women's and Gender Studies IFF
- Research Institute for Cognition and Robotics (CoR-Lab)
- Research Centre for Mathematical Modelling (FSPM)
- Center for Interdisciplinary Research (ZiF)
Further scientific institutes and centers are also located within the individual faculties, for example:
- Institute for World Society Studies
- Institute for Didactics of Mathematics (in German)
- Research Center for Biographical Studies in Contemporary Religion
- School for Historical Research (in German)
One special institute is the Center for Interdisciplinary Research (ZiF) set up in 1968 to model the "Centers for Advanced Study" in the United States. It hosts (short-term) workshops, (intermediate) cooperation groups, and (long-term) research groups that meet to develop, discuss, and research those issues that may well be of crucial scientific significance simply due to being located either on the peripheries of the increasingly specialized single disciplines or on the interfaces between them. Scientists from both Bielefeld and other universities at home and abroad work together on these projects. The ZiF makes a major contribution to the international profile of Bielefeld University.
Also linked to Bielefeld University are two renowned progressive school projects, the
Laborschule and the Oberstufen-Kolleg. School-leaving certificates from the Oberstufen-Kolleg, a pilot project run by the state of North-Rhine Westphalia, grant access to higher education in all federal states.
The Media Service Center (SCM), the
Computing Service (HRZ), and the
University Library (UB) are central service units at Bielefeld University.
Other science-related institutes are the Transfer Office and the
Contact Office for Scientific Continuing Education (KWW), and - last but not least - the University Sports Center.