skip to main contentskip to main menuskip to footer Universität Bielefeld Play
  • Welcome Centre

    Informationen für Doktorandinnen, Doktoranden, Postdocs und Professorinnen und Professoren

    © Universität Bielefeld

Bringing your Family

Zum Hauptinhalt der Sektion wechseln


Welcome Centre

Help Desk

Welcome Centre Servicedesk:

Monday-Friday: 1pm-2pm, Room C5-133 (UHG)

Individual Consultation (Zoom) via prior appointment, please sent an email to


Universität Bielefeld
Welcome Centre
Universitätstraße 25
33615 Bielefeld

Tel.: 0521 106 12186
Fax: 0521 106 154880

Our Team

Welcome-Centre Flyer


Online Registration

Online Registration

If your spouse and family members accompany you to Bielefeld, they also have to go through a set of formalities, such as applying for a visa. Please take care of a visa for your family as early as possible.

German migration and residence laws grant international scholars the fundamental right to bring their spouses and children with them. However, if you are a citizen of a country that does not belong to the EU or the EEA, you must provide proof that there is sufficient living space for them in Germany and that the family is financially self-supporting. This generally requires written confirmation from the host university or institute in Germany.

For family members accompanying you or intending to join you later, you will require:



  • valid Passport document
  • original marriage certificate with a certified German translation (unless the original is an international document)
  • for your children: the original birth certificate with a certified German translation unless the original is an international document
  • a proof of income (copy letter of scholarship or work contract)
  • renting contract
  • health Insurance
  • renting contract and proof of all additional costs
    (e.g. electricity, heating)

Further informations:

The residence permit Family reunion does give the allowance to work.

back to top